Monday, February 21, 2011

Almost vegetarian


Stop me if you've heard this one before:  I made a New Years resolution to eat healthier.  But unlike previous draconian efforts (like the tofu incident of '07), this time I'm adding healthy foods instead of totally omitting the "bad" ones, and it's going pretty well.  I'd compare this to the French Women Don't Get Fat approach:  eat what you want in reasonable portions, drink plenty of water (plus some wine), and walk a lot.

My pregnant friend's midwife put her on the Eat to Live diet, which is a bit too vegan for my lifestyle, but it did inspire me to incorporate more legumes and greens into my diet.  I've waxed poetic about the joys of kale and other CSA veg discoveries here before, and I'll do it again:  below is my latest favorite legume-based pot luck dish.  It's veg-friendly and easy to make.  Enjoy!

Apple lentil salad, from Simply In Season cookbook.

1 cup lentils:  soak 15min in hot water

2 potatoes
1 onion
Dice and boil these until soft, then drain and cool to add at end.

1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
Heat oil in large saucepan.  Add salt and curry power and heat until bubbly.  Drain lentils and add to saucepan, fry briefly.

2 cups water
Add and cook until absorbed, about 20min.  Drain any excess water and cool.

2 tart apples, cored and diced
1/4 cup lemon juice or cider vinegar
Combine to prevent browning.  Mix with cooled lentils and potato/onion mix.

Add chopped parsley to garnish.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: