Friday, August 8, 2008

Rain barrel update

Wow, have I really not blogged in a month?? That is not cool! Trust me, I have plenty of topics in mind to blog about, I just haven't had the time to pull them all together properly. Perhaps I'll switch to a shorter format just to get the ideas out there...

Anyway, I'm also ashamed to admit that it took me this long to install my awesome rain barrel, but it's finally in! And none too soon - last week's short downpour filled it completely. I had no idea it would fill up with just one storm: the garden will be so happy.

In other garden news, I've discovered the joys of having a soaker hose hooked up to an automatic watering timer: especially good for vacation times. This gadget, purchased from any local garden center, turns on the water for 15 minutes every day at programmed intervals: mine is set for 6am daily, but you can set it for longer increments or multiple times a day. Isn't technology great?

While we're on the topic of water, here's another (previously mentioned) idea for you: keep a bucket in your shower to catch the cold water while you wait for it to warm. My water heater is in the basement, so it often takes a full minute or two to get some warmth upstairs in the shower. Figure that depending on your shower/bath fixtures, at between 2 and 7 gallons per minute, that can add up to a pretty good amount of water! I feed mine to the houseplants.
.

No comments: